Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

Hi, my male cat is bleeding from his penis

Customer Question

Hi, my male cat is bleeding from his penis?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

In direct answer to your question : If your cat is bleeding from the penis it is very possible that he is suffering from bladder disease. If you suspect this is the case you should take your cat to a vet as soon as possible even if this means using an emergency vet. While your may not be not showing all of the possible symptoms it could be he has a diseases called FUS, this is potentially a very serious situation so if there is even the slightest chance that your cat has this or it is developing you should not take chances but seek hands on help at once.

You see male cats suffer from a syndrome called FUS { Feline Urological Syndrome } at its less severe this can present as a cystitis and will respond to antibiotics but often the urethra which is the narrow tube from the bladder to the outside will become blocked. The bladder then expands and a back pressure may occur to the kidneys resulting in kidney failure as well as bladder damage, deaths are possible if there are delays.

Such cats are uncomfortable and in pain, can only pass small amounts of urine which often is blood stained, will spend a lot of time in the litter tray and will be constantly licking. If the bladder is blocked your vet will be able to pass a catheter and resolve the situation as well as perhaps offer drug treatments and advice on how to prevent this distressing disease in the future.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS