Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My Cats Anus is all red and it smells very bad

Customer Question

My Cats Anus is all red and it smells very bad. Some red wet stuff is also around the anus. He is a in house Cat about 3 1/2 a little over weight. Himalayan/Siamese medium Long hair. Please help me, he is my Baby, and I am so worried. I lost my Job and can't afford to bring him to a veterinarian. I life in San Jose California.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 6 years ago.

Dear friend,

I am sorry your baby has this trouble.

It may be his anal sacs.

Trim the fur around his anus.Apply plain neosprin or vaseline. They are safe to lick.

Give him one half tsp of yogurt every day for "good" bacteria.

Canned food is best for cats. Add one tsp of infant rice cereal for fiber.

Cats are attracted to smelly foods - the stronger the better. If he wants tuna, give it to him.You can also try fancy feast, clam juice or baby food.

human baby food in meat flavours (check that there are no onions or garlic in the ingredients) and mix that with warm water and offer that, or syringe it in little bits into your cat's mouth. Beech Nut makes a line of baby food that has nothing but meat (beef, chicken, turkey or veal) in it. Here's a link: If you cannot find this, you could find another meat baby food - just read the label carefully to be sure there are no onions, onion powder, garlic, or garlic powder in it.

If his tummy needs a rest, feed baby food with no onion or garlic for a few days.

If he wont eat, and your cat is not diabetic begin by giving him two droppers (cc size) of unflavored pedialyte every ten minutes for an hour. Next water down(plain water) canned cat food or baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic and give only one dropper every ten minutes for another hour. Wait two hours and repeat both. When he feels hydrated he will lick up the gruel on his own.

Give him droppers of unflavored pedialyte a few times a day to make sure he stays hydrated.

Please let me know how he is doing. I will always be here for you.

I hope he feels better very soon.

Sincerest best wishes,