Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My cat has been laying in one spot all day and seems to be

My cat has been laying in one spot all day and seems to be breathing funny. she ate a little and had a little water. when i put her on the floor she seemed to walk slowly and wobbled and lay down on the bathroom rug.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.

I'm sorry your cat is having this trouble.

How old is she?

Is she spayed?

Does she go outside at all?

Can you explain how she's breathing funny? Is it faster than usual? Is she breathing with her mouth open?

Has your cat been diagnosed with any medical conditions and is she currently taking any medications?

Thanks for all your additional detail.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

my cat is ten. she is spayed. she doesnt go out. Her breathing is faster than usual. ano her mouth is isnt open. Shes never been diagnosed with any disease. Shes just very sleepy. no energy. all she wants to do is lay in the same spot same position. almost curled up into a fetal position. opens hers eyes. when i call her name. shes active fights with my dog and loves to sit by the window. she hasnt done that today. she seems like shes cold.

Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hello again, and thanks for your reply with additional information about your cat.

Older cats are more prone to develop certain medical conditions like diabetes, hyperthyroidism, and kidney issues. The symptoms you describe could be indicative of any one of these, or another medical problem.

It's possible she might have ingested something she shouldn't have, or accidentally became injured when playing/fighting with your dog, or perhaps jumping down from a height. When you mentioned she was stumbling/could barely walk, this could be a symptom of toxic ingestion or blood sugar that is too high or too low. Although she's an indoor only cat, if anyone brought antifreeze in on their shoes, etc., cats are attracted to this very toxic substance and a symptom is a drunken walk.

Check her gum color to see if they are light pearly pink, as usual. If they are paler, like white or bluish, this may indicate a cardiac or respiratory problem.

When a cat who is normally active, suddenly has no energy, barely moves, is breathing more rapidly than usual and prefers to stay in one place all day, there is no doubt that she needs to be evaluated by a vet, immediately, for diagnosis and treatment. If it's after hours for you now, it would be advisable to have her assessed by an ER vet center so you can find out what's bothering and she can be treated, then feeling more comfortable.

Wrap her in a blanket, pick her up very gently, and bring her to the vet now.

Please let me know how she's doing and what the vet's findings are? Thanks!

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback; if you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Best wishes,