Anna
Anna, Cat Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Thirty years of cat ownership. Writer for cat/pet magazines. B.A. in biology. Vet assistant.
6012901

My siamese cat has a drooping ear tip -- what would cause this

My siamese cat has a drooping ear tip -- what would cause this and is there anything I should do?

I'm sorry to see that no one has responded to your question earlier. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online and saw your question. somehow your question was accidentally posted in the General category instead of Cats, and that may be why no one has responded.

There are many different possible causes of a drooping ear. An injury, a hematoma, ear mites, long-term steroid medication use, a tick in the ear, or an infection are just a few of the possibilities. You can read more about all of these here:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/30800.htm

What you'll need to do is make an appointment with your vet to have the condition diagnosed and treated. Most of the problems that can cause a drooping ear do require veterinary treatment. If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your cat will reach a full recovery.

Anna

Edited by Anna on 4/23/2010 at 6:59 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can this be caused by L-lisine? I have recently (1 month) introduced this to his dry food at my vet's suggestion because he doesn't produce normal tears....I use artificial tears 3-4 times a week...should I stop the L-lisine? If I do, will his ear "perk" back up?
No, it's extremely unlikely that L-lysine could have anything to do with this. It's use in cats with certain eye conditions is well-accepted, and it has almost no side effects. The only time it is contraindicated is if a cat has kidney or liver disease. In either case, it wouldn't have an effect on the ear. You can read more about use of L-lysine in cats here:

http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com

The droopy ear is probably unrelated to the eye problems and the L-lysine, so discontinuing it won't help the ear. If you need anything else, let me know.

Anna
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
One more question...I've been using a triple antibiotic cortisone cream and/or dermalone ointment to treat what the vet says is a seasonal allergic rash around his eyes and in his ears...red blisters that dry out and form scabs...not bacterial...could this be causing the drooping?
Long-term use of a steroid is one of the possible causes of an ear drooping. If the cream you're using is a cortisone cream, that is a steroid. A triple antibiotic would not be. Sores in the ear are another possible cause of an ear drooping. Either that or the medicine, or even a combination of the two, could be responsible.

Anna