Lynn
Lynn, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  worked at a vet clinic for 18 yrs, BA in biology, experience with cats for 20+ years
6035727

my cat has stopped purring,he is not eating or drinking and

my cat has stopped purring,he is not eating or drinking and seems to have discomfort around the top of his tail area,any ideas?
How long has this been going on?

Is he able to urinate and defecate?

Thanks,
Lynn

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think the last 24 hours,not sure if he has been to the toilet today.he is sleeping on the sofa no stop and groans if I touch his lower back/top of his tail area.

You need to find out if your kitty is able to urinate. If he's not this is a medical emergency as male cats can develop blockages of the urethra which are life threatening if not treated promptly. Here is a link to a page about this condition:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/urinary_blockage.html

Another possibility is injury to the back or spinal column. Of course, it could be something completely unrelated as well, there is no way to know without an examination. Loss of appetite and lethargy go along with about anything that can be wrong with a cat. As his age there are a lot of possibilities. If he were mine I would take him to an emergency clinic. If you don't have one available get some fluids in him using a dropper. Give him small amounts of water or unflavored pedialyte frequently. Offer him any special treats you think he might eat. Tuna, salmon, meat baby foods (make sure no onions on ingredient list), and warmed up canned cat food will sometimes tempt sick cats. Then if he isn't completely recovered in the morning I would get him in to a vet right away.

If you have further questions let me know. If this answers your question please click accept. Thank you and best wishes.

Lynn