Micki
Micki, Expert in cat behavior and health
Experience:  Expert in cat medical and behavior issues.
2922194

My cat has been throwing up this week about 2 or 3 times a

My cat has been throwing up this week about 2 or 3 times a day for the last 3 days. Initially I thought it was a hairball, but he is also sluggish in his actions compared to his normally sassy self, would this be a symptom of hairball irritation? I was worried that he wasn't eating (I feed him dry food and I have another cat, so I don't have any way of telling if he's eating), so last night I gave him some tuna-fish as this is his absolute favorite snack... he was excited to eat it, but not as much as usual, but he did go back and eat a couple times, so I thought he must be better. But then he threw up again in the middle of the night and his the hair around his bottom is a little matted, so I beleive he is having some issues there.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Micki replied 6 years ago.

Hello

Does he go outside?

Is he using the bathroom that you know of for both peeing and pooping?

When he vomits, is it pretty much just the food he eats, or does he vomit on an empty stomach too?

Thank you for the extra information.

Micki

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He is strictly an indoor cat.

I live with roommates and they have two young cats and I have two cats, so it is hard to distinguish whats going on in the litterbox. I brought the box into my room last night, so that it'll only be my two cats using it, but I haven't gotten a chance to take a look.

I've only seen the throw up once, I work long hours and it was my roommates who pointed out that he had been throwing up, they said that it looked like he was throwing up his food and not a hairball. Last night when his actions woke me up I found two spots of throw up, one spot was mostly clear/brownish with chunks of tuna and then there was another spot that was just the clear/brownish color... but this was probably about 4 or 5 hours after he had eaten.
Expert:  Micki replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for the extra information.

Occasional stomach upset is very common in cats. I just went through a bout myself with my 5yo male cat.

It could definitely be from hairball causing a problem. I would start giving him a dab of Vaseline daily. Just wipe a dab on his paw, and he should most likely lick it off himself. If he doesn't just try to quickly wipe it on the roof of his mouth.

lighten up his diet for a couple days. Use boiled chicken or beef with some rice, no seasoning. If that is too much trouble for you since you work long hours, just try baby food. This is very gentle on the stomach. Use any flavor you think he would like such as chicken or turkey. Make sure there are no onions or garlic in it including onion and garlic powder.

Also crush a 1/2 tablet of Pepcid AC in his food once daily. This does a GREAT job settling an upset stomach and reducing stomach acid, which is common in cats to have high stomach acid.

If the problem still continues after all this, then a vet check up is wise.

Sincerely, Micki