Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My 7 year old cat has muscle spasms after vomiting. I think

Customer Question

My 7 year old cat has muscle spasms after vomiting. I think I know what causes the vomiting, but I’m especially worried about the spasms. She has been vomiting more or less twice a week since I took her in when she was about 5 months old. My vet says she has rickets because her spine is curved and her legs are slightly bowed. As a result of rickets, she has chronic constipation. Am I right to assume that’s the reason why she vomits so often? Most of the time when she vomits she starts having convulsions accompanied by paddling of the feet, her tongue sticks outside and she starts drooling. Then, after vomiting (mostly clear fluid), she has muscle spasms for about 10 seconds and sometimes she even falls over. Todays the muscle spasms lasted double that time, during which she fell in the vomit and couldn’t get up. Her last blood test was taken 2 months ago and everything looked fine. Do you think she has something other than rickets?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 6 years ago.

What does she eat?

Is it dry food?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She eats both dry food (Royal Canine Pure) and humid (Almo Natur organic cat food). She's been on several diets during her life and the situation has always been the same though.
Expert:  Terri replied 6 years ago.

Dear friend,

I am sorry your baby has this trouble.

Take her off any dry food as it promotes vomiting. PLEASE READ:

The best natural laxative is milk. It should bring on a BM in two hours or less. Older cats are often calcium deficient leading to hard dry stools.

Give her one to three ounces right away.nd every day.

Most constipation is due to inadequate fluid in the bowel so your baby should eat food with a bit of water added to prevent this in the future.

If she is not diabetic, she can have droppers of unflavored pediayte to hydrate her and balance her electrolytes.

The average is one to two bowel movements a day. However, a cat can manage as long as they have a good defecation every other day. Any longer than that and the stool can become toxic in her system.

Most constipation is caused by inadequate fluid and fiber in the colon. A high fiber diet should help as long as she eats it.Never feed Science diet as it not a great food - vets push it because they sell it but there are much better ones.

A natural remedy is canned pumpkin (not pie filling) a teaspoon a day added to her food. Some people also give an ounce of milk daily as most older cats are calcium deficient.There are also several vet scripted drugs like lactulose and cipracide. The problem with laxatives and enemas are the same with humans. These artificial stimulants interfere with the normal peristaltic waves of the intestine and repeated use can cause further constipation, obstipation and even megacolon.

Please refer to the following links and info:

"The causes of constipation and obstipation are many, including diet (ingested hair, foreign bodies, bones); environment (a dirty litter box, lack of exercise, hospitalization); painful defecation (anal abscesses from cat-fight bites or feces- matted hair [long-haired cats are particularly susceptible]); obstructions (tumors and improperly healed pelvic fractures that restrict movement through the intestines); and medications (for other conditions). And watch your cat's weight. Obese cats can become constipated.

Chronic constipation and obstipation from specific causes can result in a distended colon that has poor movement (megacolon). Sometimes, though, megacolon occurs when the muscular movement of the colon wall, which propels fecal material through the colon, diminishes for some unknown reason. As a result, fecal matter comes remains in the colon where it becomes drier and harder. Over time, the enlarged, impacted colon loses most of its muscular ability (motility) and becomes a loose pouch filled with dry, concrete like material. Unfortunately, veterinary science has yet to discover the causes of this condition known as idiopathic megacolon."

Here is the rest of the article:SOURCE:

Here are others I think will be helpful:

Please let me know how she is doing. I will always be here for both of you.

I hope she feels better very soon.

Sincerest best wishes,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you!

Should I give her special cat milk (I heard cow milk isn't good for cats)?

Do you think rickets is the cause of the constipation?

Do you think the muscle spasms are just consequences of the vomiting and I shouldn't worry about them?

Expert:  Terri replied 6 years ago.

Give her whole milk.

It's an old wives tale that milk is not good for cats.

It can loosen the stool and give sore diarrhea but that's what we want!

She also needs the calcium.

Yes, I think the muscles spasms are from the vomiting.

I hope she will be much better very soon.

Best wishes for her,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

She's drinking the milk right now and I took away the dry food (my other cat isn't very happy about that...).

Thank you!

Expert:  Terri replied 6 years ago.

You are very welcome.

If you other cat likes dry food, he/she can have it.

It is my pleasure to help someone as lovely as you and your sweet baby.

I will always be here for both of you.

Thank you for your accept.

Best wishes,