Lynn
Lynn, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  worked at a vet clinic for 18 yrs, BA in biology, experience with cats for 20+ years
6035727

My Cats nose is running a lot. The nasal discharge is clear

My Cat's nose is running a lot. The nasal discharge is clear and is the same consistency as water. She is not sneezing or experiencing runny eyes. How concerned should I be?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lynn replied 7 years ago.
Is she eating well?

Is she lethargic at all?

Thanks,
Lynn
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She seems to be eating normally.

She doesn't seem lethargic, she's moving around quite a bit. But, that could be because of the nasal stuff, she doesn't like being wet so that could be why she keeps moving around the house.

Thanks for your help. Sorry if I ramble, just worried about my buddy.
Expert:  Lynn replied 7 years ago.
No problem- its understandable to be worried! There are a couple of possibilities causing your cat's runny nose. Allergies are one(though not as likely), and an upper respiratory infection is another. Upper respiratory infections are usually viral in nature. Here is a link to a page about them:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_feline_upper_respiratory.html

This isn't an emergency that your cat needs to be see for by a vet right away. For this weekend you can try giving her chlorpheniramine (chlor-trimeton). The dose for cats is 0.1 mg per pound of body weight twice daily. If this is going to help it will do so after a dose or two, so discontinue it if there is no improvement. Continue to keep her cleaned up, and make sure she eats well. Things to watch for are labored breathing, loss of appetite, or extreme lethargy. If she exhibits any of these signs then you should take her to a veterinarian as soon as possible. Also, if she isn't better by Monday I would recommend taking her in at that point. While these infections are most often viral, antibiotics are commonly used to prevent secondary bacterial infection.

If you have further questions let me know. If this answer is helpful please click accept. Thank you and best wishes.

Lynn
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you Lynn,

Just one more quick quesion...

Where do I get chlorpheniramine (chlor-trimeton)?
Expert:  Lynn replied 7 years ago.
Its an over the counter human antihistamine. Any discount store (Target, Wal-mart) or drug store should carry it.

Lynn