Lynn
Lynn, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  worked at a vet clinic for 18 yrs, BA in biology, experience with cats for 20+ years
6035727

My cat is not eating but drinking water. and is very skinn

My cat is not eating but drinking water. and is very skinny.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lynn replied 6 years ago.
How old is your cat?

How long has this been going on?

How is his/her gum color- pink (normal), pale, or yellowish?

Thanks,
Lynn
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He's 12 yrs. We had him since 1998, I think about a week. I don't know the color of his gums. his gums look pink/pale in color.
Expert:  Lynn replied 6 years ago.

At your cat's age there are a lot of possibilities as to what's going on. It could be something simple such as a bacterial infection, but it could also be something more serious. Many diseases will cause these signs. The list includes (but is not limited to): diabetes, organ disease (kidney, liver, etc.), dental problem, cancer and more. Here is a link to a page about common diseases in older cats:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2140&aid=613

Unfortunately, there is no way to narrow the list down without an exam, and possibly blood tests and/or x-rays. I would recommend taking your cat in to your vet as soon as you are able. When cats go for even a few days without eating they can develop a liver disease called hepatic lipidosis. (This could even be part of the problem already.)

If you are unable to get him in right away try to get him to eat. Offer anything you think he might be tempted by. Warming up food often makes it more palatable to cats. You can try meat baby foods, just make sure there are no onions on the ingredient list. Boiled chicken, hamburger or salmon are also good things to try. If he just won't eat you may need to force feed him. Use canned cat food mashed up with water to a gruel consistency, and give it to him with a dropper. Give him several small meals rather than one or two large meals. Squirt it in the side of his mouth rather than the front.

If you have further questions let me know. If this answer is helpful please click accept. Thank you and best wishes.

Lynn