Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.

What is this growth on my cats chin

What is this growth on my cat's chin? (have a closeup image)
Category: Cat
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

1. Please send the image through and I will be pleased to look at it, use the tree icon on the top of the text input box.

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks so much for replying. I hope this URL will show up:
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq331/geneometrik/DSC02761.jpg

View from another angle: http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq331/geneometrik/DSC02759.jpg

That is the closest-up picture of the growth I could get.

About a year ago, this cat started to have what appeared to be little brown moles on her chin, which my neighbor (a vet) told me could be acne from her plastic bowls. I changed those to ceramic dishes 3 months ago, but those still come and go. At that time I moved into a new place that previously had cats, that would be her only near contact with any cat other than my other cat (her littermate).

She is 11 and otherwise hasn't had any health problems, and is an exclusively indoor cat. She is eating and behaving otherwise normally, but when you look her straight on in the face you can tell this lump is there (her face looks different). I noticed this a week ago, am pretty sure I would have noticed it had it been around much longer than that.

Thanks so much.

Thanks for the quick reply.

The photos came through very well, while I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

In direct answer to your question : If the pink lesion has only been there for a week then it is likely to be an area of skin infection { pyoderma } as a result of your cat's acne. If this is the diagnosis then it would rarely be a serious situation and would often respond to a course of oral antibiotics.

Feline Acne is a relatively common disease and mainly occurs in the chin area though in some cases it can affect the upper and lower lips as well. The main signs that you see are blackheads and spots but abscesses and general infections { pyoderma } can occur as well, while this condition is ugly to look at it rarely affects the cat. This condition occurs in all ages of cats, and is generally regarded as a trivial disease although the odd case may be secondary to immunosuppression.

Here is a link to a photo I took at my clinic of this condition : LINK

Mild cases may actually require no treatment except perhaps a cleansing shampoo. More severe cases would benefit from an antibacterial/anti-malassezia { such as Malaseb } wash once a week, and very severe cases where there is a deep pyoderma { skin infection } may be put on a course of antibiotics in addition to the wash.

This is a condition which responds well to treatment but recurrence is likely in some cases. Some people suggest replacing plastic food bowls with metal or glass ones as you have done.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks so much. Would you recommend I get her to the vet as soon as possible (i.e., does this look like something that could be more serious than acne?), or should I wait to see if it clears up on its own?

Thanks so much again for your answers, that's about all else I need to know. I'm happy to accept your answer and appreciate your time.

Hello again,

If the diagnosis turns out to be pyoderma related to cat acne then it can come and go on it's own but antibiotics would clear it up very quickly and tone down the general cat acne for some time. This would rarely be a pressing matter so the best advice would be to see your vet sometime over the next few days at a regular hours consult.

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.