S. August Abbott, CAS
S. August Abbott, CAS, Own Animal Care/Rescue Org.
Experience:  Up to 300 cats saved each year; Animal Care author; Behavior & Nutrition Consults
1604863

How do I know if my cat has a urinary blockage

How do I know if my cat has a urinary blockage?
Category: Cat
Expert:  S. August Abbott, CAS replied 4 years ago.

Urinary blockages are urgent care situations: http://www.animalemergencyservices.com/Feline_Conditions.aspx

-- In an advanced, severe case the cat will not be passing any urine at all. You may notice kitty is 'swollen' and feels hard in the abdomen area.

The gums, whites of the eyes and inside of the ears may look yellowish.

You have probably less than two hours to get to an emergency clinic when a cat is this far along.

-- Urinary infections before turning into total blockages can produce symptoms of a cat making odd noises and pacing throughout the house.

They go to the litter box and may make straining noises, passing just a dot of urine or a reduced stream. In some cases there will be blood visible.

Again, the abdomen area may be bigger and feel firm - your cat might show signs of pain when touched there.

--- Most important to realize is that not all cats will show all symptoms all the time. If you even "think" your cat is having difficulty with urine or stools, trust your instincts!

This is a life that's depending on you to get help no matter what day, night, time or expense. Just like a child depends on their parents, your beautiful cat needs you.

***************************

AFTER you get treatment, let's try to avoid ever having the problem again:

Many kibble (hard food) offerings from respected suppliers (such as Science Diet, Iams, Purina and many, many more) have specialized diets for urinary tract health, but repeated science suggests feeding predominantly canned/soft food (avoiding a diet of strictly fish or seafood types) may help prevent FLUTD. It’s believed that the increased urine volume dilutes toxic metabolites.

A surprising fact is that many vets aren’t as experienced in feline nutrition as they might be. Some of them are selling or recommending foods based on product manufacturers’ pitches, commissions and free samples.

There is a veterinarian who specializes in feline nutrition and care, providing no gimmick, no ulterior motive information about what cats need for ideal health, even offering homemade recipes and comparing the various foods available without having to spend more than one should. www.catinfo.org

-- I hope things work out well for both you and your companion

***************************

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Rudy has had a urinary blockage before. I heard him vocalizing twice this evening. Felt his belly and then felt the other cat's belly Hiram. Rudy is a large cat and its hard to tell if it is swollen but he doesn't yowl when I touch him. He still has enough kick to run from me. But I will take him to the vet tomorrow.

If Rudy isn't making urine at all - you really can't wait 'til tomorrow. Like I said though, you know your cat and you need to trust your instincts.

I can tell you for sure that the dietary modifications work in a high percentage of cases. One of the very, very old rescues here nearly died, twice, from blockages. After getting rid of the foods (as outlined above) I was paying a lot of money for thinking they were 'best', he not only never had another problem, but he's nearly 20 years old now!

It's also quite helpful to not have any of the health expenses that repeated urinary troubles bring.

-- Check back and let me know how he is ok?

Even if you press 'accept' you can keep replying and not be charged any further.

I'll be quite happy to work with you and Rudy all the way
Experience: Up to 300 cats saved each year; Animal Care author; Behavior & Nutrition Consults
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX take Rudy to the Emergency Room. I feed Rudy moist special diet cat food since that time (Christmas 2008) but have always been jumpy at the first change in behavior. How will I let you know how is doing? Thanks for your help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I took Rudy to the vet. They checked him and did an ultra sound and he appears just fine. Last time he had a blockage. He sprayed me to get my attention, I supposed. He was lethargic and let me catch him to put in the crate. This morning however, I had to curl him into the crate with a swiffer! Normally, a very quiet cat, he cried and fussed all the way to the vet. But last night he was licking his genitals, yowling and jumping straight in the air. I almost lost him in 2008 so I'm a bit jumpy. Thank you for your help. I'm glad I found this service!
-- And I'm glad Rudy has you! Oh so many people just don't value their cat's life as you do Rudy's and they take a "wait and see" attitude. By the time they "see" what they're waiting for it's often too late, or so advanced that extreme surgery and up to thousands of dollars necessary.

--- The other indication that you're very well informed is that you mention using a "swiffer". A common myth making internet rounds regularly is that this product is deadly to cats and dogs (obviously not true).

--- Even though this was a false alarm, please stay as alert as you've been. You're doing a fantastic job

Remember, do not press 'accept' again on this question
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much, Dr. I am relieved. Our animals bring enrich our lives so. It is a blessing to be able to reciprocate.