Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

can i give my cat .5 mg of clonazepam at the begining of each

can i give my cat .5 mg of clonazepam at the begining of each day (two days) of a long trip in the car?

The reason i ask is because we are on a very tight budget due to having to sell our house on short notice and I am already prescribed to clonazepam and have 1mg pills that i can either break in half or into quarters.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 6 years ago.

Clonazepam is used to treat anxiety in pets. Unfortunately with out having an established client, patient, clinic relationship I can not advise whether or not to use this drug.

The following article will give you information on the use of this drug as well as the recommended dose for your baby. I would recommend giving the lowest dose recommended.

I hope this has been helpful, please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
unfortunately that was the article that led me to this page. I'm looking for something that will basically keep them sedated and hopefully asleep. Do you have any other recommendations? I've also read that dramamine will work for this purpose
Expert:  Candy R. replied 6 years ago.

The clonazepam will help to sedate them, the dramamine will only help with the motion sickness.

There is not anything you can give with out a prescription that will keep them asleep, nor is it really safe to give something that would keep them asleep for this long.Knocking them completely out for that length of time could be dangerous.

You may want to try the clonazepam ahead of time to see what effect it has on them and help decide what dose is best.

Valium and xanax are also used in cats and you can find the dosing information for both drugs at the same site.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, what about potty breaks? should i put litter in the crate or stop the car, put a litter box in the car and let them out in the car for 30 mins or so?
Expert:  Candy R. replied 6 years ago.
I would recommend placing a litter box on the floor rather then stoping and starting, you also want to be sure that you offer them some water during the trip. I would avoid food until you stop for the evening as this could cause them to vomit.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so it will be safe to let them out of their crates or eliminate the crates altogether during the trip?
Expert:  Candy R. replied 6 years ago.

No the crates are a great idea just let them out every few hours to potty and get a drink.