Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

Cat has a clear jelly-like discharge from anal/rectum area.

Cat has a clear jelly-like discharge from anal/rectum area. He has also vomited, drank a lot of water, and is not wanting to eat. What is wrong?

Hi Kevan,

How old is he?

How long is he like this?

What and when did he eat last?

Is he able to urinate?

Indoor kitty?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He is 7 months old, and he is an outdoor/indoor kitty. I believe he was or has been able to urinate. He last ate about 9pm yesterday, and this just began when we let him in this morning.

Dear Kevan,

I am sorry your boy is not feeling well.

Since he goes out it is possible that he ate something spoiled or even toxic.

Check inside his mouth for any abnormalities.

An anal discharge can be from colitis, parasites or his anal sacs:

Offer him the juice from a can of tuna or salmon to keep him hydrated till he can be seen.

Cats are attracted to smelly foods - the stronger the better. If he wants tuna, give it to him.You can also try fancy feast, clam juice or baby food.

human baby food in meat flavours (check that there are no onions or garlic in the ingredients) and mix that with warm water and offer that, or syringe it in little bits into your cat's mouth. Beech Nut makes a line of baby food that has nothing but meat (beef, chicken, turkey or veal) in it. Here's a link: If you cannot find this, you could find another meat baby food - just read the label carefully to be sure there are no onions, onion powder, garlic, or garlic powder in it.

Please let me know how he is doing. I will always be here for you.

I hope he feels better very soon.

Sincerest best wishes,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So should I try giving him the tuna water for a little while, or is this something he should be seen by a vet for?

If he will not eat or drink or if he has pale gums or continues to vomit he should be seen.

If you can stop the vomiting and get him eating you can wait.

Make sure to check inside his mouth for a stuck item, pale gums or any abnormalities.

Please let me know how he is later.

Best wishes for him,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We went to the vet's office and it ended up being rectal prolapse. Once the dr pushed it back in, he started purring right away. They are keeping him overnight to make sure that he's okay. Thanks so much for you help Laughing

Dear Kevan,

You are more than welcome.

I am so. glad he was seen and will be OK!

It is my pleasure to help someone as lovely as you and your sweet boy.

I will always be here for both of you.

Thank you for pressing accept.

Best wishes for him,