How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cher Your Own Question
Cher, Feline Specialist
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 20849
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
Type Your Cat Question Here...
Cher is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My cat just licked up some melted chocolate ice cream that

Customer Question

My cat just licked up some melted chocolate ice cream that was left in a bowl. Should I be worried?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.

If there wasn't much ice cream and it didn't contain a large amount of real chocolate (artificially flavored?) or dark chocolate (as opposed to milk chocolate), you shouldn't need to worry about the chocolate toxicity factor; however, the ice cream itself, could cause gastrointestinal upset for your kitty, as most cats are lactose intolerant. His pancreas could also be adversely affected if it was high in fat, but if he didn't ingest a large amount, this shouldn't be a factor

Watch for rapid and/or labored breathing, hyperactivity, rapid heart rate, tremors, seizures, vomiting, diarrhea, and general symptoms of illness like decreased appetite and/or lethargy. If your cat begins to exhibit any serious symptoms, have him evaluated in person by a vet, immediately, for supportive care.

I hope all will be well with your furry boy!

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback; if you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Best wishes,

Related Cat Questions