Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My inside cat has dirty ears. We clean them but they get dirty

My inside cat has dirty ears. We clean them but they get dirty pretty quickly. He shows absolutely no irritation and never scratches them.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.
Dirty? Does it look brown, black, yellow waxy stuff?

Does he ever shake his head?

I am assuming you are wondering why they get dirty so quickly?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I would say brownish. He never shakes his head or even scratches at them. He is always happy but does like it when we clean them.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.
Well, it certainly does not sound at all like there is an active otitis externa (outer ear infection) present.
Many pets simply have variations in the amount of waxy discharge their glands will produce. Some are more prominent especially when there is scratching of the ear canals due to underlying allergy issues.
Certainly, outdoor cats and dogs, due to debris and environmental conditions exposing the ear canals, will also produce more waxy discharge.
Lastly, it also depends on the technique of how the ear cleaning/flushing is performed. Generally, on a cat, only a superficial cleaning is performed, so with time, waxy deeper in the canal gets mobilized and continues to come to the surface.

So, it might be worth going into the vet office to discuss with a technician or the vet how to do a deep ear flushing. For safety reasons, I am definitely not going to try and describe it here. It can be a bit more dangerous in cats, as opposed to dogs, and would prefer if you got a demonstration. A more thorough, gentle, deeper flushing may get the job done longer for you.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.

You may also find this link helpful, but I still encourage you to get a demonstration at the vet office.
Good Luck