Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

can I feed my cat broiled chicken, liver, beef, and fish instead

can I feed my cat broiled chicken, liver, beef, and fish instead of can or dry foods?

Hi there,

How old is your cat?

What does she eat now?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have 2 cats. The fatty is about 5, and the trim one is 6. They both eat one can of fancy feast each and about 1/2 dry Max cat, purina or fancy feast per day. for 2 weeks I've been mixing Iams with lessening amounts of the Fancy feast and Ukanuba dry food also mixed with their previous dry food in the same amounts. They also get a couple of treats which I've been trying to reduce.

Cats are obligate carnivores which means meat is their primary food.

http://www.catinfo.org/

It is fine if you want to cook for your babies. I feed mine chicken a nd fish as well as cat food.

They do need to eat some cat food to get proper nutrition.

If you feed more dry than canned the fatty will slim down and the trim one will fill out as that is the best way for them to balance their calories.

They are not meant to eat, carbs, grains or cereal:

High Protein/Low-carbohydrate (no grain) food data sheet

Canned food: Before Grain (not meant for exclusive feeding)
Blue Buffalo Wilderness
Evanger's
Innova Evo
Instinct
Newman's Own Grain Free
Pinnacle
Wellness Core
Wellness Grain Free
Weruva
Best Feline Friend

Dry food: Taste of the Wild
Before Grain
Indigo Moon
Instinct
Wellness Core
Orijen
Pinnacle
&nb sp; Blue Buffalo Wilderness
Innova Evo

*canned food ranges from 30-40 calories/oz with little variation between brands.

* dry food varies widely in calories and is ranked lowest to highest above

**Most cats need about 200calories/24 hours. This is about 1 tuna sized can per day per cat. To figure 200 calories of dry food, check the bag for calorie content/cup or contact the company

Let me know if you still have questions about their diet.

Warmest best wishes,

Terri

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
in your opinion, is fancy feast (because they like it) suitable for weight control, or should I continue weening them from it and change to Iams or another brand better suited to their health. (that they'll actually eat) A Veterinarian told me that Fancy Feast was the "MacDonald's of cat food.

It's true <sigh> that fancy feast is kind of "junk" food, but cats love it because it's smelly.

However, even though Iams is a good food, cats need to eat more canned than dry.

Try some of the better brands that have no grains until you fine one they like.

Evanger's
Innova Evo
Instinct
Newman's Own Grain Free
Pinnacle
Wellness Core
Wellness Grain Free
Weruva
Best Feline Friend

Cats that eat canned food stay trim because it is lower in calories but more filling than dry food.

If the LOVE fancy feast they can have it but add some water (tablespoon) because it is thick and suppliment with real meat or fish or chicken.

Good luck with your babies,

Terri