Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

our cat seems to be having problems Jumping up on our bed to

our cat seems to be having problems Jumping up on our bed to rest or to get access to her ormal resting place in a set of drawers. She's just not jumping high enough. She hasnt had this problem before that we are arware of. Would there be something else we can look for to be sure if there is something wrong??

Paul
Submitted: 4 years ago via PetPlace.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the question Yoofoo.

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. How long has your cat had this problem?

2. Does your cat go outside on her own?

3. Is she otherwise bright, alert and acting normally?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank for replying.

Our cat ( Story ) Meows ALOT, which we consider normal. She plays alot with her balls and running about the house, We have taken her outside under our supervision on a couple of occasions, but not normally on her own, and we have only noticed this problem over the past 2 days. Not sure if it matters, but she has been bit more clingy than usual..

Thanks for the quick reply,

1. If your cat does not go outside and you do not have any other cats then this cannot be related to a bite from another cat, this would be one of the main causes of lameness in the cat and in a minor form could easily account for her problems with jumping up.

2. If you exclude the above possibility then the next most likely scenario would be a soft tissue injury such as a strain or sprain, I have known this to occur in indoor cats which play a lot and run round the house.

3. Most soft tissue injuries in the cat would resolve with a couple of days rest so you may well find that this situation will just pass in a couple of days without any intervention. Of course if it does not quickly resolve or you see any deterioration you should seek hands on veterinary help without delay.

4. You are more than likely aware of this but you should avoid all forms of over the counter human pain killers / anti-inflammatory drugs in the cat as they can be highly toxic in this species.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Scott Nimmo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.