Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years

my cat is limping, she wont put any weight on her hind leg,

Customer Question

my cat is limping, she wont put any weight on her hind leg, just lies there. there is swelling on the leg and also looks like its out of joint. thinking either break or dislocated. its on the first knee joint.... cant really afford to much in vets fees. wat actions can i take to help her?????
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 years ago.
This is an information request, to help me answer your question.

Does you cat go outside? Could she have been injured, or in a fight with another cat?

Is she eating and drinking?

The knee is the joint in the back leg that points forward, toward the head when it is bent (just like our knees point forward when bent); is that the joint you mean?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

she normally doesnt go outside, but she managed to escape when we were putting the rubbish out and was gone for a few hours. she was miaowing when we were calling her and found her stuck in some bushes at the back of the garden. there are a lot of cats in the neighbourhood so could have been in a fight. she is only 4 months old.

it is swollen from the knee to the paw, she doesnt let u touch that area at all. she wasnt moving at all last night but is limping around today. but wants lots of attention today.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 years ago.
The most common reason for a cat to be limping and have a swollen leg is from being in a cat fight, and getting bitten. Cats have really awful bacteria in their mouths, and the bite from a cat usually gets infected.

I can't say for sure without being able to examine her, but that is the most likely problem. If it is an infected leg, she needs to be on antibiotics. I would recommend having her examined by a veterinarian soon. With antibiotics, she could heal right up. Without antibiotics, she may need more aggressive (and expensive) treatment.

Do not give her any over the counter medication, especially not acetominophen (Tylenol or Paracetin) because it is very poisonous to cats. You could try 1/4 of a baby aspirin, but only once every 4 days and not more often than that. However, if she has an infection, she really needs antibiotics.

Hope this helps, Rebecca