Micki
Micki, Expert in cat behavior and health
Experience:  Expert in cat medical and behavior issues.
2922194

Can you give human diarrhea medicine for cats Imodium was

Customer Question

Can you give human diarrhea medicine for cats? Imodium was mentioned on the previous person but can you give that to him? If so, how much to give? He has pancake mixture like diarrhea. No blood and he still has a good appetite. He does not seem to be in pain. It started 7 days ago when the outside temperature dropped from 36 to 20. I have given him Ensal for 4 days - it got little better but I run out of the drag and diarrhea still going... I am now giving him antibiotics. He has cat AIDZ and diabetic and he is taking glucoma eye drops. He also has lymphoma so he is taking Cortizone. His immune system is low so I just want to help him stop the runny poo. He is still well enough to live and I do not want to take him for a drive to the vet when his tummy is loose. I just rang my vet to ask if I could get prescription without taking him to the vet and waiting for his answer. If I can use human drag, it is much easier...
Category: Cat
Expert:  Micki replied 4 years ago.

Hello,Customer/p>

You can't give human diarrhea medication to cats. You used to be able to give kaopectate, but the recipe changed recently and that is no longer safe.

You can try mixing some infant rice cereal into some baby food. Make sure the baby food does not have onion or garlic in it. Also feeding a tsp a day of plain yogurt does a good job firming stool. It adds good bacteria to the digestive tract.

Take up cat food and use the baby food/rice cereal mixture for a couple days as his primary diet. This is easy on the stomach and will hopefully help firm things back up.

If the problem continues, then a vet visit is wise.

Sincerely, Micki

Experience: Expert in cat medical and behavior issues.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.

"take up" meaning, replace his food to baby/food-cereal? Sorry Enlish is not my first language and I live in Australia!

He is on diabetic dry food at the moment. But he has no problem eating other food. I tried pumkin but e said no to that...

If he does not eat, can I add chicken breast? or any other meat/fish as a mixture?
Expert:  Micki replied 4 years ago.

Yes I meant replace his regular food.

yes you can use boiled chicken, beef, fish, etc. Fresh meats are fine as long as it is boiled as the method of cooking and you use no seasoning. Using fresh meat like chicken would be better since he is diabetic.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will buy cook him chicken breast with the baby food, cereal and yoghurt. Hopefully his tummy settles soon:)
Expert:  Micki replied 4 years ago.
I hope it does too. Call around to pet supply stores too. Many sell OTC diarrhea drops for cats and dogs.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
O can you actually buy pet diarrhea drops without seeing the vet?
Expert:  Micki replied 4 years ago.

I am not 100% sure what is available where you live, but here in the states we have many OTC pet medications to choose from like "HomeoPet Digestive Upsets" and "PetAlive RunnyPoo Relief"

Just ask for what pet stores in your area carry for diarrhea in cats.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It seems to have been working:) His poo is becoming litle bit more in shape!
I was wondering if Ginger is poisouneus for Cats. I am making a Chicken Soup today and if it is ok for Cats, I want to give him (before seasoning ofcrouse) some Chicken stock on his food!
Expert:  Micki replied 4 years ago.

Watch what kind of stock you use. Look at the back and make sure there is no onion or garlic powder in it.

As for ginger, I do not believe that is toxic to cats.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks :)
I amke my own chikcken stock so there is no problem.
Hs has not had any poo for 20 hours now so it seems to be getting solid.
Hopefully I see a better shaping one soon :)

I never known "rice cereal" existed before. I always made my own porriage and took so long to make. Such a good idea for my upset stomach! I am so glad to have found you.

Natsuko
Expert:  Micki replied 4 years ago.

You are more than welcome Natsuko :) Let me know how things go and if you need any more help.

Micki

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey, He did normal poo this morning!! Hooraaaay!! Smile
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
BTW, is there any food good for Glucoma or Cancer? I think he can go back to his normal diabetic diet now but if there is anything to add to keep his aged body in balance, I wanna try. I am more than happy to put this question as another online question if you have a suggestion.
Expert:  Micki replied 4 years ago.
I am so glad to he had a normal BM. I really don't any foods that help with those problems or prevent. If he is diabetic, you need to stick to that diet to keep his blood sugar levels in check.