NancyH, Cat Health, Behavior, Care Expert
Experience:  30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care

My kitten was just laying around, not playing. Hes about 5

My kitten was just laying around, not playing. He's about 5 months old now. Liked to lay on back on my chair. Fell off 3 times for no reason. Eyes watering. Gave him antibiotics. Two different kinds - did not get better. Took him to another vet. He gave him a $50.00 shot and more antibiotics and eye drops. That didn't help. Took him back to regular vet who found an absess under his tail. Took care of that, gave him a shot and more antibiotics. Brought him home. He was walking around some and eating. Then next day back laying around, can't walk. Keeps falling down when he tries to walk. Eats if I feed him from a medicine dropper. Is alert, knows what is going on, stretches, and even moves around some. I'm planning on taking him back to regular vet again, but thought maybe you could give me an opinion on what you believe could be wrong. He urinates and have found a small pile of poop away from his bed, so believe he actually crawls a short distance to use the bathroom.
Submitted: 6 years ago via OnlineAutoRepair.
Category: Cat
Expert:  NancyH replied 6 years ago.

I would suggest asking your vet about a possible inner ear infection impacting his balance center. That can make a cat 'dizzy' so it can't walk well.

It is also possible you are dealing with a problem that is neurological with something impacting the brain and perhaps the cerebellum which controls motion.

Parasite migrations and infections such as roundworms, Cuterebra larvae, toxoplasmosis can cause neurologic signs in kittens as the parasites can impact the brain if they get 'lost'.

Portosystemic or liver shunts can cause neurological problems too.

You may need to do some blood work and more testing or even get a referral to a veterinary neurologist to figure out what is going on with this little one.

Hope this helps you!