How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cher Your Own Question
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 20956
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369
Type Your Cat Question Here...
Cher is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My cat is behaving as if there is something caught in his mouth,

Resolved Question:

My cat is behaving as if there is something caught in his mouth, but I cannot see anything. I am wondering if he may have chewed on something in the house that is poisonous. What should I pay attention to and what should I do if in fact you say that is the case?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for your question.

I'm sorry your cat is having this trouble.

While it's possible that he might have ingested a toxic or other non-food substance, causing his present symptoms, as you suspect, it's also possible that he might have chewed on an electrical cord and sustained a burn in/on his mouth or on his tongue. Look for any especially red or sore areas on and around his lips, sides of his mouth (inside and outside) or sores inside his mouth and on his tongue. Also, check for any swollen and/or red areas inside his mouth around teeth and gums, which may indicate a dental problem, and also check inside his cheek areas. Check that nothing is wrapped around the back of his tongue. Cats can also develop tonsillitis, and if his tonsils are swollen, this would cause painful swallowing.

It's important that he eats and drinks, of course, to avoid dehydration and liver problems, so if he's experiencing discomfort swallowing and is uncomfortable using his tongue, it would be a good idea to have him evaluated in person by a vet, as soon as possible, for a definite diagnosis and treatment.

Symptoms to watch for now, in addition to what you've already described, relating to toxic ingestion, are vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, lethargy, constantly dilated pupils or uneven pupil size, and seizures.

http://www.petplace.com/cats/poisoning-in-cats-what-you-should-know/page1.aspx

If it's now after hours for you, having your kitty assessed by an ER vet center would be your best course of action.

I hope all will be well with your furry boy.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback; if you have additional questions, need more information and/or clarification, please click 'Reply'. Thanks.

Cher
Cher and 2 other Cat Specialists are ready to help you