Lynn
Lynn, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  worked at a vet clinic for 18 yrs, BA in biology, experience with cats for 20+ years
6035727

My cat cant swallow her food. She throws it up in a tub like

Customer Question

My cat can't swallow her food. She throws it up in a tub like form. She is starting to dehydrate. What can I do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lynn replied 6 years ago.

How long has this been going on?

How often is she vomiting?

Is she able to keep water down?

Thanks,

Lynn

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She has been doing this for about a week. Yes, she can keep water down. Her abdomin just works hard and she breaths heavy. She vomits everytime you feed her anything other than very runny liquid like food. I have been taking the pouch food and putting in a blender with water. She still drinks the water and very very little solids.
Expert:  Lynn replied 6 years ago.

The best thing to do for your kitty would be to take her to your veterinarian for an exam, and possibly an x-ray and blood tests as soon as possible. Anytime vomiting persists for this long its best to seek help. With a kitty this young I worry about a partial intestinal blockage from a foreign body. Other causes are possible as well- it could be anything from an infection to organ disorder and more. Here is a link to a page about vomiting in cats:

http://www.cathealth.com/vomit.htm

If you can't get her in this weekend make sure you keep giving her as much of the gruel that you've been making as she will eat. Small amounts given frequently throughout the day is best. You can also try giving her famotadine (Pepcid). The dosage for cats is 0.25 mg per pound of body weight once daily. It may not help, but it won't hurt anything. If you are afraid she's dehydrated you can give her water or unflavored pedialyte with a dropper.

If you have further questions let me know. If this answer is helpful please click accept. Thank you and best wishes.

Lynn