Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

my cat has yellow gums and is very lethargic. The whites of

my cat has yellow gums and is very lethargic. The whites of his eyes are yellow. What can we do for him until we can get to a vet?
Thanks for the question Apr007.

In direct answer to your question : There is nothing you can do here on a home remedy basis, the yellow tint you are seeing almost certainly represents a very serious situation. Any yellow tint in a cat's body in mucous membranes in the mouth, eyes etc. is highly suggestive of jaundice which is quite a very serious symptom. The lethargy and the weight loss bear this out as well.

What you should try and do is to have your vet pin down the exact cause of the jaundice which will be the key here. Jaundice in itself is not a disease but is a symptom.

First I would consider some of the possible common causes of jaundice :

1. Could be a liver infection, a hepatitis.

2. It could be a tumour of the liver.

3. It could be cirrhosis { degeneration } of the liver.

4. Bile duct problems including tumours.

I am sure you can see that there is really nothing you can on your own in this situation, there would be no possible home remedies so all you can do is to get your cat to a vet as soon as you can. without being pessimistic I have to tell you that many of these cases end badly .....

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS