Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My cat is urinating very often, but only a few drops of urine

My cat is urinating very often, but only a few drops of urine each-time. He doesn't seem to be in pain at all, and it has been happening for a few days now, and noticed it when I switched to a different cat liter brand. While the issue might not be from the new cat liter, thought I'd mention it anyway. His urine seems normal, no color variations at all.

Any ideas why?

Dear friend,

I do not want to alarm you but I am very concerned about your boy.These are very serious and can even be life threatening symptoms Any time a cat cant stay out of his box he is either sick or in pain.

You should make a trip to the vet ASAP. - If you think he has a urinary tract infection and is in danger of becoming blocked.

UTI's are serious in males because they are caused by sticky crystals in the bladder.At any time they can block the urethra.Since this is going on a while your boy is in great danger.Cats are very stoic animals so he may not cry out.

If he becomes unable to urinate that is a MEDICAL EMERGENCY . His bladder could burst and he would have to be catheterized to save his life.

If that is the case, you must take him to the vet right away may finance his visit if money is an issue.

He may have a UTI that can be treated economically.

UTI's must be treated with an effective broad spectrum antibiotic like Clavamox or clidimycin and for a long enough duration so all bacteria is eradicated. If not, they will refluorish, stronger and more resistant and reinfect him. In addition, the bacteria can become tolerant of the same antibiotic so the medication should be varied for best results.

You can give him a few drops of unsweetened cranberry juice or 100 mg of vitamin C - That will reduce the PH of his urine but it is only to make him feel better.He still needs to see a vet for an antibiotic.

Please let me know how he is doing .I will be here till late tonight to help further.

I hope he feels better very soon.

PLEASE take him right in to be treated.

Best wishes for him,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I appreciate the reply.

He seems to be sitting down now cleaning himself and purring away. I'm going to monitor his actions this hour and will definitely take him down to the vet. Any idea how costly the antibiotic might be?

Best Regards.

Hi there,

Oh the antibiotic should be less than twenty dollars.

The exam can cost about 35.00.

Do keep an eye on him because if he has a UTI and blocks (God forbid) you will end up in the expensive ER.

Please keep me updated on his condition.

Best wishes for him,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hey Terri,

I took him down to the vet and turns out it was some swelling that might have caused the cat to feel like urinating every so often. His blatter was empty as the vetrenarian mentioned, and they gave him some anti-biotics.

Thanks for your help it was appreciated. =)

I am so glad you had him seen and he is ok!! Thats GREAT news.

It is my pleasure to help someone as lovely as you and your sweet baby.

I will always be here for both of you.

Thank you for pressing accept.

Best wishes for a wonderful new year,