Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

I was told i could give ivermectin to my cats for worms i was

I was told i could give ivermectin to my cats for worms i was told to get the stuff for horses and give in small doses once a month my male tom cat was never willing to allow me to dose him so tonight i slipped the dose syringe in his mose her jerked and i accidently gave hi too much i am worried will it kill him
Submitted: 4 years ago via PetPlace.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 4 years ago.

Hello

Do you know how much you gave.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

unfortunately i dont because i cant unloosen the plunger id stay theres still some in the two inch injector its alittle over 1/2 inch in width im reading it now to see how much was originally in it i gave some to all three cats and two dogs but this one is a outside cat and very strong

Expert:  Candy R. replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

If you are going to use this drug I would highly recommend having someone calculate the proper dose for your babys. There should be no need for the syringe if you are using the horse and cattle form as a cat dose would be 1-2 drops of this product monthly.

This may help you to correctly dose your fur babies.

For dogs: Dose is 0.0015 to 0.003 mg per pound once a month for heartworm prevention; 0.15 mg per pound once, then repeat in 14 days for skin parasites;

and 0.1 mg per pound once for gastrointestinal parasites.

For cats: Dose is 0.012 mg per pound once monthly for heartworm prevention.

Ivermection toxicity in cats is very uncommon, however you should watch for any of the following signs.

inability to walk correctly, vocalization, disorientation, dementia, whole body tremors, dilated pupils, apparent blindness, circling, head pressing, slowed heart rate, low body temp,coma, and death.

Read more here ust close the pop ups to view the information.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ivermectin-ivomec-heartgard/page1.aspx

I would recommend calling your vet when they open to see if they would like to see him.

Your baby will most likely be fine but a quick peak by your vet would be best.

Please know that this drug can be very dangerous especially to your dogs if not dosed correctly.

I hope this has been helpful. Please reply back with additional questions or concerns.

Candy

Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer