Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

I need to give my 16 lb cat amoxicillin for a uti. I cant

I need to give my 16 lb cat amoxicillin for a uti. I can't get her to the vet due to lack of cash. I have 875 mg tablets. What id is the correct dosage for my cat?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

The typical amoxicillin dosage for cats is 5 to 10 mg per pound every 12 to 24 hours. However, the actual dosage for your cat would be best determined by your vet after an in person exam and definite diagnosis. If you give the lowest recommended dose, at 5 mg. per pound of body weight, and your cat weighs 16 lbs., this comes out to 80 mg., and I really don't think you will be able to accurately cut the 875mg. tablet into 10 equal parts. The highest dosage, at 10mg. per pound would mean cutting the tablet into 5 equal parts, also not easy, but 'easier'.

Some serious side effects of this medication can include shortness of breath, bloody diarrhea, hives, rash, fainting, swelling of the tongue, face or lips, bruising, unusual bleeding or seizures. Some less severe side effects include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, fungal or yeast infection.

I completely understand your financial bind, and would recommend trying your best to get your cat evaluated by a vet, and prescribed the most appropriate medication/dosage for her UTI, if this is the condition diagnosed. The organizations listed at the link below, may help you pay for vet fees and medications, if you qualify, and if you're located in the U.S.:

http://www.speakingforspot.com/helppayingforveterinarycare.html

Also, call your Humane Society, ASPCA, and local cat rescue organizations to see if they can recommend a vet they use, one who may be lower-cost, and/or might treat your cat free of charge, considering your extenuating circumstances.

I hope all will be well with your furry girl.

Cher
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If I crush the pill would it be easier to giver her the correct dose??
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again,

I thought of that, too. : ) Let's try this: do try your best to cut the pill into 5 equal pieces, then crush one of the 5 pieces and give her 1/2 of the amount of crushed powder (crush with the back of a teaspoon).

It's always difficult to hide medication in food, because your cat will detect it and I'm sure it tastes terrible. If you can hide it (incorporate it) in a small amount of softened butter, cream cheese, vanilla ice cream, or plain, unflavored yogurt, this would be good; or, if there's any food or treat that she basically doesn't chew much, but just swallows, try that, if the above foods don't work.

Please do keep in mind that the best thing you can do for your cat at this time is to have her evaluated in person by a vet, so please try the alternatives I have suggested before giving her an antibiotic which may not be the right one to resolve the condition troubling her, now. Also, when a urinalysis is performed, the results may come up 'false-negative' if you've already given her some of the amoxicillin, so it will be more difficult for the vet to identify the cause of her symptoms.

I hope your furry girl will be feeling much better very soon and you can find a way to have her seen by the vet. Try the organizations I mentioned, for help with finanical assistance.

Cher

Edited by Jessesmom on 12/17/2009 at 5:31 AM EST