Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat wont eat or drink, he just lays there he doesnt react

Customer Question

My cat wont eat or drink, he just lays there he doesn't react to us calling his name, we try to pick him up and get him to stand but its like he has no feeling in his legs but he reacts to his back feet being touched.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 5 years ago.

How long is he like this?

Do his legs feel cold?

Is he able to urinate?

Are his gums pale?

What and when did he eat last?

Does he go outdoors?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How long is he like this?

since yesterday

Do his legs feel cold?

they dont feel cold but they dont feel warm

Is he able to urinate?

yes hes able to urinate but thats it

Are his gums pale?

part of them is white and the other part is black but i think they were like that before unsure

What and when did he eat last?

he ate on wednesday and cat food

Does he go outdoors?

he doesnt go outdoors

Expert:  Terri replied 5 years ago.

Ok hes indor so there no chance of injury?

Are his nailbeds blue on his back leg?

Are you saying he can urinate but not defecate?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

we havent seen him get hurt but he might have. His nail beds arent blue. my mom said hes has peed just hasnt pooped. I dont know id this makes a difference but i did move out a few weeks ago and my cat came with me and hasnt been at my parents house to interact with my brothers boy cat.

Expert:  Terri replied 5 years ago.

Dear friend,.

I am sorry your boy is having trouble. I am quite concerned about him.

He may be injured, ingested a toxin or have a blood clot.

Feel all over his body and check in his mouth for any abnormalities.

Offer him milk or tuna water to drink.

I do not want to alarm you but these are very serious symptoms and I do feel he needs to be seen ASAP. http://www.carecredit.com/ will finance it for you.

The only things that could cause this are

1 poisoning

2 urinary blockage

3 eating non food and being impacted

4 injury

5 ear issue causing a vesibular disorder

6 hypoglycemia

7 viral illness like FIP.

9 saddle thrombus

In any event I do not feel he is treatable at home so please take him right to a vet.

I will be here waiting to hear how he is doing.

I hope your baby will be allright

Best wishes for him,,

Terri

Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience: Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.