Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

my cat has a strange lump under his chin. over the last 2 days

Customer Question

my cat has a strange lump under his chin. over the last 2 days the size has doubled and it is spreading. it scabs over but once itched again it oozes a pus like substance.. what could this be?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. Does your cat go outside on his own?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He is stictly indoor cat
Thanks for the quick reply.

In direct answer to your question: While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you that this is very likely to be an abscess if it is a sudden appearance swelling under your cat's chin. This is a very common situation with cats and all small animal vets will see cats like this in their consulting room frequently, very often it is not possible to see entry wounds as these quickly heal. It is very strange in your case as he is an indoor cat, perhaps there is another cat or cats in the household which are responsible. Given your description it can be very little else other than an abscess.

You see cats or not the most sociable of creatures and they are very prone to fighting, their canine teeth are long and sharp and covered with pyogenic [pus forming] bacteria. In fact when one cat bites another cat and really sinks its teeth in you can expect an abscess to form as a matter of course. If he is a sole cat in the household then it is always possible the infection has come from elsewhere but this would be rare.

Whatever the cause the usual treatment for a cat bite abscess would be a weeks course of antibiotics although some may need lancing and flushing out under anaesthesia as well, this does mean a visit to your vet but it is a situation which is usually very easily resolved. There is very little you can do on a home remedy basis in this situation I am afraid.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS