Micki
Micki, Expert in cat behavior and health
Experience:  Expert in cat medical and behavior issues.
2922194

My kitten is 11 weeks old, and has had a pot-belly since I

My kitten is 11 weeks old, and has had a pot-belly since I took him home at 8 weeks old. He has been given oral deworming medicine twice from 2 different vets, both or which said they could not tell if anything was wrong with his belly. He is very active, eats well (maybe too well) and sleeps and poops well too. There are no signs of worms in his poop or around his bottom area. I have been treating him for ringworm with shampoo and topical spray for 2 weeks and it seems to be clearing up. My concern is that his belly has stayed big and round and firm to the touch (although he does not seem to be bothered by his belly at all even when I squeeze it) and over the past few days seems to have become even rounder. I am taking him back to the vet in a week for a follow up on his ringworm, but should I take him in sooner?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Micki replied 4 years ago.

Hello,Customer/p>

I really don't think anything is wrong with him. I too have a kitten that is 10/11 weeks, and she has the same "buddha belly" too. Many kittens do at this age. One thing that can cause it, and I don't if you noticed any, is gas. Just like human babies, gas can be issue for kittens and pups too. The best way to deal with it is by giving a tsp a day of plain yogurt. This will help get rid of gas and stomach bloat.

But they do tend to have that round baby belly at this age, and its normal.

Sincerely, Micki

Experience: Expert in cat medical and behavior issues.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your fast response. But would gas be cause enough to make his belly this big? When he was wet today from the ringworm bath i was giving him he looked like a goat they way their stomachs stick out so much on their sides. The rest of him is pretty skinny but his belly is just so swollen and round. I read online that it could be that he hasn't been treated for the right kind of worms, or that maybe it could be parasites, or even something more serious that would cause fluid to build up in his stomach. But I guess you seem to think that as long as he is acting happy and healthy I don't need to rush him to the vet?
Expert:  Micki replied 4 years ago.

I seriously doubt he has FIP. That is the thing that causes fluid accumulation in the chest cavity and abdomen. He would have difficulty breathing most likely with this. He would have a lot of other symptoms if this were the case: Weight loss, not eating, trouble breathing, fever, lethargy, and many more. He wouldn't be happy, playful, eating, drinking, and acting like a normal kitten. So don't worry about FIP.

I don't know what worming medication you used, but in the future, use Profender. This treats all worms. Plus it is an easy spot on treatment between the shoulder blades like Frontline. Much easier than pills. Since he has been wormed twice already and you don't see any in his stool or rectum, he is probably worm free by now.

Kittens gain all their weight in their belly. Like I said my kitten looks just like this too. She has a big round belly, sides stick out everything. She was skinny little legs, and even a bony back. She is totally healthy and normal, and ready for her spay next week.

He'll thin out in the belly soon, and start to gain weight evenly through out his body.