MeadowDVM
MeadowDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Specializing in equine medicine, lameness and surgery; as well as small animal emergency, medicine and general care
25637675

My cat cannot urinate and the vets office is closed what can

My cat cannot urinate and the vet's office is closed what can I do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  MeadowDVM replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for your question. Is there any dribble of urine that you can see? Is she eating / drinking normally?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, there is a dribble...she is drinking and eating.
Expert:  MeadowDVM replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for your answer. It is possible that she has bladder stones that are blocking her unrination, although this is much more common in male cats then females. I think it is more likely that she has cystitis, or a urinary tract infection, and this causes a burning sensation that makes her feel like she has to "go" more. She is not producing a lot of urine at one time because she is using the litter box so much, so it's only coming out in dribbles.

Her otherwise normal attitude with normal eating / drinking behavior tell me she is stable enough to wait until tomorrow morning and is not in any immediate danger. At that time your vet will perform a urinalysis, possibly some x-rays and blood work, and prescribe some medications to help her out. If cystitis is confirmed as the diagnosis, then she will most likely be on a cycle of antibiotics. You can also ask your vet about some mild pain medications to get her through the first few days, as it takes a while to see improvement with the antibiotics. It is a burning, uncomfortable sensation, but it is not severe pain.

Good luck, I hope she is feeling better soon!