Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I just discovered that my cats nail has been ripped out of

I just discovered that my cat's nail has been ripped out of her paw, and that the smell we thought was fecal matter is in fact her paw. She has had the smell for two and a half days. Can we wait until tomorrow to take her to a vet, or do we need to go now? She is almost 19 years old. Is there anything we can do ourselves tonight?

Hello. Thanks for writing in. Is she having any problems? Eating well? Seem to be in pain?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She is eating okay and she walks with her foot splayed out. It is black around the area. And it smells like fecal matter. I don't think she is in horrible pain
Thanks for the information. It sounds like she has an infection around the toenail. If she is eating fine and doesn't seem to be in any pain, she will probably be fine until tomorrow. I would get her to the vet tomorrow, though, and get the area cleaned up and get her on antibiotics. If you have some povidone iodine solution, you can dilute it with some water and soak her foot in iit for 5-10 minutes. If you don't have any povidone idodine solution, you can just soak in some soap and water. Antibacterial soap is a better choice. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.