Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My cat keeps swallowing. I gave her some tuna yesterday and

Customer Question

My cat keeps swallowing. I gave her some tuna yesterday and she threw up a huge hairball. Today she is still swallowing. whats wrong with her?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 6 years ago.

Hi there.

What does she usually eat?

Has she eaten since she threw up?

Indoor kitty?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She only eats Purina Cat Chow, Adult Formula. She has eated since she threw up. She has been swallowing a lot for the last few days now.

She is and always has been an indoor cat.

I have another cat as well who is two years old and got her during the summer from a shelter. She is very healthy and eats the same food.
Expert:  Terri replied 6 years ago.

Dear friend,

I am sorry your girl is having trouble.

Excessive swallowing can be due to nausea, pain, an oral sore or abscessed tooth or pain in her throat.

Check inside her mouth for a stuck ite or any abnoormalities. Look under tongue, roof, between teeth etc.

The first thing I would suspect is an abscessed tooth or root in her gum.

Lack of fluid in the bowel also leads to vomiting, Ingested hair can also be a factor.Anorexia for any extended time leads to liver damage and causes nausea and vomiting as well.

I would add some canned or baby food for her

Serve the two foods separately - do not mix them - add a half pepsid a/c tablet, crushed up into the wet food one time a day.

Cats are attracted to smelly foods - the stronger the better. If she wants tuna, give it to her You can also try fancy feast, clam juice or baby food.

human baby food in meat flavours (check that there are no onions or garlic in the ingredients) and mix that with warm water and offer that, or syringe it in little bits into your cat's mouth. Beech Nut makes a line of baby food that has nothing but meat (beef, chicken, turkey or veal) in it. Here's a link: If you cannot find this, you could find another meat baby food - just read the label carefully to be sure there are no onions, onion powder, garlic, or garlic powder in it.

If her tummy needs a rest, feed baby food with no onion or garlic for a few days.

If she wont eat, and your cat is not diabetic begin by giving her two droppers (cc size) of unflavored pedialyte every ten minutes for an hour. Next water down(plain water) canned cat food or baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic and give only one dropper every ten minutes for another hour. Wait two hours and repeat both. When she feels hydrated she will lick up the gruel on her own.

Give her droppers of unflavored pedialyte a few times a day to make sure she stays hydrated.

Please let me know how she is doing. I will always be here for you.

I hope she feels better very soon.

Sincerest best wishes,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She has not been very active either and swallows more when she tries to meow, or purr. It seems like its hard for her to meow also. I tried to get her to get up and move, but she just wants to sit. What could this mean?
Expert:  Terri replied 6 years ago.

It sure sounds like something is bothering her.

She may have an abscessed tooth or a upper respiratory infection.

As I said check inside her mouth for any abnormalities.Also loook in her mouth for a stuck item

Offer her milk or tuna or salmon water for hydration.

Try the smelly foods.

Let me know how she is doing.

Best wishes for her,