Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

my cat scratches itself raw - i do not see any fleas - the

my cat scratches itself raw - i do not see any fleas - the vet gve it some antibiotics and shot (probably steroids) and it helped a bit but caused stomach ptoblems
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 6 years ago.

Hi there,

The antibiotic was probably zithromax. Does that sound familiar?

She may have Miliary Dermatitis.

Fortunately cats do not get as many skin conditions as dogs so they are much easier to diagnose and treat. They can be allergic reactions, fungus or infection.

Here is the most common with photos:

Stud tail:and feline acne

Miliary Dermatitis:

Hot spots:

Ringworm can be recurrent and is treated with a topical fungicide or a vaccine shot.

miliary dermatitis can come from a food allergy or the bite of even ONE flea.This is treated with one cortesone shot or neosporen it is safe it he licks a bit.

Granuloma is also usually allergic in nature and can be treated cortesone or antibiotics or both.

There is also alopecia which is usually symmetrical and can be self inflicted:

A staph infection is also a possibility and can recur at times when the immune system is weakened temporarily.

Please look at the photos and let me know which best relates to your cats issues and I will be happy to discuss this further with you.

Warmest best wishes,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

it looks like miliary dermatitis - she scratches both sides of her face and under the chin.

Under the chin looks a bit like acne - but first it started with her face, under the chin started later.

what do u recommend to do?

Expert:  Terri replied 6 years ago.

Dear friend,

Miliary dermatitis is NOT a serious issue.

Its an allergic reaction.

Use plain neosporin on the sores.

Give her one quarter of a chlor-trimeton every 12 hours. It is sold OTC in drug stores:

Use only metal or ceramic dishes as plastic promotes this.

She could also get one shot of depo medrol to clear it up quickly.

Warmest best wishes,