NancyH, Cat Health, Behavior, Care Expert
Experience:  30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care

My cats hair on his back has been standing straight up like

Customer Question

My cat's hair on his back has been standing straight up like he has a mohawk. It is not accompanied by the bushy tail nor scared/defensive behavior. He is acting completely normal (cuddling, jumping, playing, etc) except that he has had this "mohawk" for a day or two. Is there a physical problem that could be causing this, such as a skin irritation? Nothing has changed in his environment lately.
Category: Cat
Expert:  NancyH replied 6 years ago.

Yes this could be from a nerve issue or a problem with skin irritation.

If it springs back up after you smooth it down then I'd suggest you see your vet with the cat to check for either a disc issue causing a problem with the nerves in that area or a skin problem leading to a sensation that makes the cat lift its fur.

There is a problem called Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome which this might be related to but that makes the skin roll. You can read about that here

Hope this helps you!