Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My cat has diahera. he is oozing poop from his rear. His

My cat has diahera. he is oozing poop from his rear. His pooper looks a little swollen. What I can do? He is all over my furniture and I don't want to keep cleaning up poop
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 6 years ago.

I would love to help I just have a few questions.

Have there been any food changes?

Does there look like there is any wound or opening on the side of the rectum about 4 oclock or 8 o clock position?

Does your kitty go outside?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I don't see any wounds.

He has been sneezing alot. The vet said it was a cronic condition. The expensive antibiotic shot he tried did not work. I thought the grocery store cat food might have some alergens it so I slowly introduced better cat food. My other 2 cats did not have any bad effects (one has a very sensitive stomach) from the food change.

Not only does he sneeze but now he coughs. I wonder if the drainage could be messing with his system.

Expert:  Candy R. replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for the information.

Diarrhea can be caused by the food change perhaps the fiber is to high for him or it just may take him some time to adjust.

In most cases the first line of treatment for diarrhea is to with hold food, unfortunately with hold food from cats can be dangerous. You can try a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice this is easy to digest and will allow his digestive tract to take a break.

Immodium may help to control the diarrhea. Here is a link to the recommended dosage

Another common cause of diarrhea in cats is intestinal parasites or worms.If the diarrhea continues I would recommended having a stool test done by your veterinarian to check for parasites and worms.

Clean his bottom well and apply antibiotic ointment twice daily.

Please reply back if I can be of further assistance.