Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My cat has a raw spot under his chin (no hair there), maybe

My cat has a raw spot under his chin (no hair there), maybe a 1/4". I thought at first maybe he bumped his chin and it was a scab but it's been there for 3 months. The scab or whatever it is doesn't seem to go away or change. I tried touching it today, and it seemed like the scab was a bit of a bump. When I move it, it acts like a scab and is raw underneath. It doesn't seem to bother him, although he's been really bad at scratching my carpet for the last 3 months. Not sure if it's related. Will polysporin help? Thanks so much!!

From your description, it's possible your cat has feline acne, and he keeps scratching the scab, it keeps growing back, and there's a chance it could be or get, infected.

Another possibility is ringworm (a fungal skin infection), which wouldn't actually look like a scab, but a rough, irritated patch of skin with hair loss.

This will not heal on it's own, if it hasn't for the past 3 months, so an in-person evaluation by your vet will be necessary for a definite diagnosis and treatment.

I don't think the carpet scratching is related, unless the carpet is being cleaned with a shampoo/powder, etc., to which your cat is allergic.

Neosporin or Polysporin may help temporarily, if it is caused by a bacterial infection, but if it is fungal, like ringworm, an anti-fungal treatment is necessary. Lotrimin AF (sold in drugstores for humans with fungal skin infections) may be helpful if it's ringworm, but an in person diagnosis is recommended, and then the most appropriate treatment will be prescribed.

I hope all will be well with your furry boy.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much for the fast response! He was a street cat at 4 weeks and my sister found him with a broken jaw so she rescued him (the vet put him on oxygen over night). I've kept him indoors since. Unfortunately he's not the nicest cat, but I keep trying! It might be my long work hours and not spending enough time with him that's making him scratch too. I've tried everything from covering up the areas with mats, to clipping his nails constantly, toys, scratching posts, but he's found a liking to my carpet, so I'm at wits end :). I will look into the ring worm information as this might be a good lead!! In the meantime tonight I will try polysporin until I can take him to the vet this weekend. I hope it's not my carpet because I vaccuum religiously with my dyson :).
Hi again, and you're most welcome!

Thanks very much for your accept, most generous bonus and reply.

Oh, what a lucky boy he is, to have been given a loving home by you! Poor baby, found with a broken jaw! Perhaps he's not as friendly as you'd expect due to his hard start in life, and being feral.

You may be on to something re: the scratching and your long hours at work, and away from home. Try this: leave a tv or radio on low volume so he feels like he has 'company'; leave nightlights on in the rooms where his food/water and litter are located and in the room he sleeps in--it's a fallacy that cats can see in complete darkness, although they see better in low light than humans.

Try covering the area he favors to scratch on, with a rubber or plastic mat, like a 'runner'. I'm glad you're keeping his claws well-trimmed! Add another scratching post and some scratching 'pads' which sit on the floor. The come in flat, narrow, wide, and inclined and are not too expensive. If he likes scratching on a low surface like the carpet, he might enjoy the pads. Spray the pads and his scratching post with Feliway, a cat appeasing pheromone which helps cats feel more 'familiar' with an item or a room. Don't offer him the pad until the Feliway spray is completely dry. You might also use the plug in diffuser, but don't place it in an outlet that is easily accessible to him. Here is more information on Feliway:

I'm glad you'll be bringing him to the vet this weekend, and then you'll know more about what's going on with his chin.

Cher (please do not click 'accept' again)