NancyH
NancyH, Cat Health, Behavior, Care Expert
Experience:  30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care
127115

My cat has mange is there an over the counter treatment I can

My cat has mange is there an over the counter treatment I can use.

It would be a good idea to have your cat evaluated in person, first, by a vet, so a skin scraping (painless) can be taken and the type of mange can be identified, as there are a variety of feline mange mites. You can read more in detail about this condition, here:

http://webvet.com/main/article?id=71&med=1

http://www.ehow.com/facts_4895538_mange-treatment-cats.html

Once the type of mange is identified, your vet will treat it in the most appropriate way, with an oral, topical or injectable medication. If you suspect your cat has mange, don't try to treat it yourself, as it can be very contagious (to humans) and needs professional veterinary attention. Fortunately, there is a lot that your vet can do to help. If you hesitate to bring your cat to the vet at this time, due to financial constraints, the following link to various organizations who might help you pay vet fees and for medications, should be useful:

http://www.speakingforspot.com/helppayingforveterinarycare.html

I hope all will be well with your furry girl.

Cher

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You did not tell me anything i did not already know.
Fantastic! I'm glad you already were in possession of the information to get help from all those financial organizations to pay for your cat's veterinary care, and hope you can move forward with that to have her treated, ASAP. If you already knew there was no existing over the counter product to treat mange, I'm confused as to the purpose of your question.

I will leave your question open for other experts to answer, and I wish you and your kitty much good luck!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am not happy with the way this is going I want to end our talking. I do not wish to pay for your services.

To answer your question more directly, no there is nothing safe or effective to use over the counter to clear up mange in cats.

Unfortunately you do need vet help for this problem, but the good news is you may just be able to get SELAMECTIN (Revolution®) to use to do this instead of trying to bath the cat or bringing her in for painful injections. It appears to clear up both sarcoptic mange mites which cats can get and the cat type notoedic mange mites too.

Hope this helps you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can mange live in my carpets. I had a cat with mange and the vet wanted $300.00, the girl at the front desk said without doing anything but looking at the cat for 30 seconds. That cat was a homeless cat that we took in, it already had mange. I don't have $300.00 so We had to get rid of the cat. so I got another cat from the local pet shop and now it has the same signs of mange after only 3 weeks. ( Do you think that it is in my carpets or I also have a dog but i do not see any signs of mange on him) Do you think $300.00 is the going rate.

It does not survive off of the cat for very long so it doesn't live or breed in carpets.

But ringworm fungal infection can lurk in carpets and home to infect another pet.

You can read about that here

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ringworm.html

I'd suggest starting with asking another local vet for the cost of an office visit and a skin scrape. If its mange you can ask about using Revolution and they make that for dogs too which would clear your dog of mites if the dog has picked them up.

You can read about how ringworm is treated on the above site.
What you want to know when you call a vet is how much for an office visit, expected/estimated costs to diagnose a possible skin parasite to decide if you can manage the costs.

As cash flow is an issue Cher (jessesmom) did give you a link with lots of potential financial resources but you might also check with your local humane society about low cost vet care in the area or consider seeing if you qualify for Care Credit so you could do time payments for care

http://www.carecredit.com/
A credit card company for health care, including veterinary care.
"With a comprehensive range of plan options, for
treatment or procedure fees from $1 to over $25,000, we offer a plan
and a low monthly payment to fit comfortably into almost every
budget." They have a zero interest program if you pay within a certain time frame and they list the vets who work with their product.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you

The thing to know is vets all have different fees as overhead is different and so their pricing may reflect that. You can shop around a little by phone and ask about basic costs like office visits and shots etc. to see who seems most reasonable to work with.

Let the vet know your budget is tight and they will often work with you.

If you found an answer helpful you can accept it and thanks!

Experience: 30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care