CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

why does my cat poop on the carpet all of a sudden ive had

why does my cat poop on the carpet all of a sudden? i've had her for over a year with no problems like this before. her litter is cleaned daily so what is her problem?
Category: Cat
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your post!

Whenever I have a case such as this, the question is - why are they not using the litterbox, or defecating outside the litterbox...is there an underlying cause or is this just bad behavior???

Unfortunately, there is no "bad behavior" test. This is a diagnosis of exclusion - meaning that you need to make sure there is not an underlying cause.

Other causes to investigate would include:
- Parasites
- Colitis
- Rarely in a cat this young problems such as kidney issues, liver issues, or an overactive thryoid.
- Etc.

Tests to consider to rule-out causes include:
- Bloodwork - to look at the cell counts, organ values, thyroid, and blood sugar
- Fecal evaluation

Options that you can try at home:

Clean all inappropriate sites with an enzymatic cleaner. Use a citrus deodorant spray or double-sided tape to discourage the cat from visiting problem areas.

You can consider adding a litterbox in the house (in general when there are issues such as this, the recommendation is to have 1 more litterbox than the number of cats in the house)

You can also add different types of litter in the house (clumping vs non clumping, scented vs unscented)

I have clients that have used this product (Feliway) which emits phermones/hormones that are supposed to decrease stress in cats. Some have had great experience with this. This may also help with his anxiety and behavior change in general!

Here are some additional links that may help (elimination and behavior related):

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

LINK 4

LINK 5

LINK 6

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.