Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cat has scabs on him due to flea bites, what can I do to

My cat has scabs on him due to flea bites, what can I do to treat his skin and help stop the itching
Submitted: 7 years ago via lowchenaustralia.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

1. The first thing to do here is to ensure you eliminate the fleas. Very often shampoos and flea collars are not enough and can be weak. I would suggest that you treat your cat with Frontline which I have found to be very effective. Also you should treat the house and your cat's environment as well, you can get sprays for this purpose from your vet or better pet stores. This is where people often go wrong with flea control as there will be many more fleas and flea eggs in the flooring etc. than on your cat.

2. Some cats are allergic to flea bites and if this is the case the problem will persist long after the fleas are gone and scabs would be typical in this situation. Quite frankly if this is the case you should have your vet treat your cat as he or she will have access to prescription anti-allergy drugs which would be your best way to sort the problem out, antibiotics may be needed as well.

3. Having said that I am aware that some cat owners treat allergies with the likes of Benadryl, while this may be in some ways unsuitable they often report success. Here is a link to the use of Benadryl in the cat : LINK

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have been told that a betadine diluted solution will help with the itch and chance of infection....will this help
Hello again,

Betadine is an antiseptic which would not normally stop the itch, to do this you would want an antihistamine or other suitable anti-inflammatory drug {assuming this is an allergy }

Betadine would not be suitable for extensive use on the cat in any case, you may get away with using very small amounts on the worst scabs but on balance I would not recommend its use.

The scabs and infected areas are likely there secondary to main issue and that is what has to be resolved before you go any further.

Regards,

Scott