ERAnimalNurse
ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse
Experience:  16+ years of veterinary experience

My Cat is walking very stiff. She is lathragic and prefers

My Cat is walking very stiff. She is lathragic and prefers to isolate herself. She appears to be shaking and having involuntary muscle spasms in her back hip and at times her back leg shakes. She also has a hard sitting down, getting her back area down. I have had her to the vet twice in the past week. Labs are all good and x rays are normal. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Cat
Expert:  ERAnimalNurse replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry your kitty is not feeling well.

Does she have a fever?

Does she go outside?

Are there alot of ticks in your area?

Is she eating normally?

Did your vet prescribe any medicines?

Let me know and i will try to help.......

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Does she have a fever? At the vet on Tuesday no. Tonight her ears feel normal, body feels warm.

Does she go outside? No

Are there alot of ticks in your area? No- I am in FL. she is shaved and there are no signs of ticks.

Is she eating normally? eating less than normal

Did your vet prescribe any medicines? no

When she sleeps, the shaking decreases

Thank you for the additional information. It sounds like your kitty is uncomfortable (shaking and not eating normally), and since x-rays and blood tests came back clean I am wondering if it might be due to a soft tissue injury. She could have pulled a muscle in her back or neck which can explain her symptoms, including the stiff walking. I think it would be a good idea to call your vet and ask for some pain medicines to make her more comfortable. You should try to restrict her activity level as much as possible, no running or jumping, especially when the pain medicines start working and she feels better. If after a week she is not showing any improvement, it's time to consider things like tick-borne diseases or rarer problems. I mention tick borne diseases because they can cause generalized discomfort, lethargy, inappetance and joint pain. Even if there are not any ticks on your kitty you could have missed one at some point. There is also an illness called feline infectious anemia that cats can pick up from fleas that causes similar symptoms. This illness can be difficult to detect, and sometimes treatment is started even if there is no conclusive diagnosis. Treatment consists of the antibiotic doxycycline. Please see the following website for more information on feline infectious anemia.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1692

If a urinalysis was not run, you might want to consider asking your vet to check for infection. Sometimes cats will have different presentations of illness, and to be thorough her urine should be checked if she continues to have trouble. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. If this has been helpful, please hit the green accept button. Best of luck with your kitty, I hope she feels better soon :)

Experience: 16+ years of veterinary experience