Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005

Why does my dog rub its butt on the carpet and then lick where

Customer Question

Why does my dog rub its butt on the carpet and then lick where he rubbed?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 4 years ago.
Typically, a dog will do this when his anal sacs feel uncomfortably full. There are glands called anal glands that produce a smelly substance that fills two anal sacs on either side of the anus, and this smelly substance in these sacs is expressed onto the feces when a dog defecates. This is why dogs smell each others' rear ends and each others' feces. When these sacs get overly full, a dog will scoot on the carpet or grass to try to express out some of the contents. Sometimes, they can tell that some has been expressed out, and they can smell it, so they will lick it off the carpeting so as to clean it. Hope this helps answer your question! Best of luck.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If he persists in doing this, should I do anything to releive him of this discomfort? Al
Yes. If your dog is doing this frequently, it may mean that the anal sacs are impacted. I would take your dog in to see your vet to have the anal sacs expressed. If you call ahead and indicate that expressing anal sacs is all you are coming in for, not an office call, then it may be relatively cheap. Best of luck.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you! Al
My pleasure.