Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

my cat has worms in her stool. is it contagious to humans

Customer Question

my cat has worms in her stool. is it contagious to humans?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.

What do the worms look like, that you see in your cat's stool?

Do they resemble particles of uncooked white rice?

Is her stool normal or loose/mushy?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
they are realy small and thin. they kinda resemble white rice. its normal stool. and thank you for your time! =0)
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hello again, and thanks for your reply with additional information.

If they resemble white rice, these would be tapeworms, and they can be transmitted to humans, but only if the human touches the stool or cat's bottom and doesn't wash their hands and then puts the hands in their mouth.

Most feline intestinal parasites are not communicable to humans, but some are, so good hand washing is essential.

If you know your cat has worms, a fresh fecal sample will need to be analyzed by the vet to determine what kind they are, and then your cat will be treated. If you would like to try an over the counter worming med first, make sure to get one which contains Praziquantel and Pyrantel Pamoate as active ingredients. Most wormers need to be repeated in 2-3 weeks after the first treatment, but follow instructions on the product. It's always advised to have your cat treated with a worming med from the vet, as these are the most effective.

I hope all will be well with your furry girl.