CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

how to treat an anal gland abscess in my cat

Customer Question

Category: Cat
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your post!

An anal sac abscess is when the anal sac is not only impacted, but has a bacterial infection.

As long as your cat is acting fairly normal, eating, drinking - etc. - I would make an appointment to see your vet as soon as you can.

If your cat is not doing well - or this looks bad enough where you are concerning - seeing an ER veterinarian if your veterinarian is not open may be reasonable.

If it is related to the anal gland, they will either start antibiotics, or if it looks worse, they may elect to open (surgically) and drain the abscess (infection) then start antibiotics.

If tolerated, you can attempt to warm compress the area - but some cats will not allow you to do this.

I hope this information is helpful for you.
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.