Reani
Reani, Cat Care Expert
Experience:  20+ years experience with Cat Care and behavior problems, 3 years Pet Rescue

I think my cat has been poisoned. I need to know the symtoms.

Customer Question

I think my cat has been poisoned. I need to know the symtoms. She goes outdoors; she might have eaten something. We live in the city but there are many plants, and god knows what, that she could have gotten into. Aren't cats smart enough not to eat a poisonous plant? I've had many cats over the years, not one has gotten poisoned but plants.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Reani replied 4 years ago.
Good Morning,

Can you describe what her symptoms are?
How long has this been going on?
Is your girl able to use the litterbox, both urinating and deficating?
Are her stools normal?
Some symptoms might be drooling, vomitting, lethargy, etc...but with further info about what your girl is doing I can hopefully help narrow down the possibilities with what is going on....

Standing by to help...

Reani
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She is extremely lethargic, just sleeping or sitting in her cat bed. She did pee this morning and drank a bit of water. This has been going on since yesterday afternoon, after coming in from outside. Which, in itself, is unusual. She loves being outside. No drooling, no vomiting.
Expert:  Reani replied 4 years ago.
Great,
Thanks for the information.
I would be more inclined to think she may have some sort of internal injury since she was outdoors. She may have been hit by a car, kicked by a mean person, or fallen from somewhere high.

When a cat is lethargic and not eating, that is an indication of pain. Sometimes they will also hide, or hiss at you when you approach, and constant purring can also indicate pain or illness.

Since there is no vomitting, no drooling, and she is not stubling around, I do not think she was poisoned, though anything is possible since there is no way to know what she did outdoors.

If her gums are white, this is an indication of shock and she should be rushed to the vet immediately.

Since she is only drinking we do need to get some food in her.

The danger in not eating is that the liver can begin to break down fat reserves which it is not very efficient at doing, causing it to become clogged for lack of a better word. This condition is called fatty liver syndrome and is dangerous. It is always secondary to another injury or illness and usually worse than the original condition. Try the smelliest foods you can, even tuna. If that still does not work, we need to force her.

If your kitty is not diabetic, get a bottle of unflavored pedialyte, a 1 cc dropper and canned cat food or baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic. Give one dropper of pedialyte every 10 minutes for one hour. Than give one dropper of food mixed with plain water every 10 minutes for another hour. Wait two hours and repeat both. Once your kitty is feeling better (nourished and hydrated) she should begin to lick it up on her own.

I urge you to have her seen today, since tomorrow is Sunday and vets are closed. Most vets have some Saturday hours, and if you get her in today, it will accomplish 2 things...the first obviously, is helping your girl before allowing it to progress into something more serious, but the second thing is you will also avoid possibly having to bring her to an ER vet which can be costly.

I hope this helps you, please let me know what happens, I will be thinking of you!

Warmest Wishes,

Reani

Reani, Cat Care Expert
Experience: 20+ years experience with Cat Care and behavior problems, 3 years Pet Rescue
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She has a regular vet that I will call now, however...she is not hissing, or hiding, or any of the other above things that you mentioned. Nor are her gums white. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Reani replied 4 years ago.
I think it is a good idea to call.

While poisoning or injury is possible, her symptoms do indicate pain. If she is not hissing or hiding, that is not indicative of no pain, as every cat is different. I was just describing what the signs are...as well as the signs of poisoning.

Anytime a cat is lethargic and not eating, there is something wrong. Unlike people, cats do not just decide not to eat, there is always a reason. Lethargy in a normally active cat is also a red flag that something is wrong.

If you can get food in her and she perks up, you might wait to call your vet, however, only you know your girl well enough to know if you see an improvement.

Hope that helped. (I am sending as an info request so you are not prompted to pay again).

Warmest Wishes,

Reani