Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My cat has little white flakes on her fur and it is near the

Customer Question

My cat has little white flakes on her fur and it is near the back of her and goes onto her tail? I was just wondering what it is and what I can use to get it away?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

The white flakes you see may be caused by various conditions. If they look like crystals of salt, they could be flea eggs; if they are 'moving' when you stare at them, they could be an external parasite called 'walking dandruff' (Cheyletiellosis); they could be dry skin due to her not getting enough Omega 3 fatty acids in her food, not drinking sufficiently, or not grooming this area well.

The lower back/base of the tail is a popular spot for these conditions to show up, as it is sensitive and difficult for the cat to reach to groom properly. It also contains scent and sebaceous (oil) glands.

Your best course of action would be to have your cat evaluated in person by her vet, to get a definite diagnosis and then, treatment.

I hope all will be well with your furry girl.