ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training

cat: possible urinary tract infection..squatting as if peeing

My cat seems to have a possible urinary tract infection, or possibly a stone of some sort I think. It started about 2 weeks ago. He was 'squatting' as if peeing, but very little to nothing would come out. If he was touched around that area he would growl and hiss. So I'm pretty sure he was in pain. We waited a few days and he stopped doing these things and everything seemed to be normal. Yesterday and today he began to mimic those actions from before. I even found what seemed a full size pittle on the floor. I love my cat and I know something is wrong, but I don't want to end up with a crazy outrageous vet bill, so it makes me hesitate going to the vet. I am going to go though as I've heard and read that it could be deadly. I did just relocate almost 2 months ago (thinking stress). Also my mom HAD a peace lily plant which we seen the cat nibbling on, but it was removed almost 4 weeks or so ago. Any help would be great. Is there anything I can do myself for him? Thank
Category: Cat
Expert:  ChristineLVT replied 7 years ago.

I agree this sounds like a urinary tract infection, which can occur due to physiological stress. The bacteria causes inflammation in the bladder, which triggers a signal to the brain that the cat needs to urinate with a full bladder, even though technically the bladder has not had enough time to fill up most times. Symptoms may seem to come and go, but the infection is not leaving.

A urinary tract infection can often easily be treated with a round of antibiotics, but it is not something to put off treating for too long, as it is very uncomfortable for the cat and can eventually lead to either kidney infections or chronic cystitis.

Your vet will want to check a fresh urine sample to determine which type of bacteria is causing this and if crystals or casts are present, then choose the proper antibiotic for curing.

Definitely make sure your cat is able to produce and let out urine each time squatting, and that a decent amount of urine per day is let out. The situation is much different with a male cat than with a dog or even female cat when this occurs. That is because the male cat's urethra is extremely thin, and what usually causes this is a urinary tract infection with crystals, and the crystals get stuck in the urethra and block the bladder from emptying. This is a dire emergency situation, requiring an emergency vet A.S.A.P. It is lethal if not treated quickly- as the bladder continues to fill with urine and will eventually rupture.

Encourage plenty of fresh water intake and do get to a vet soon so that a urinalysis can determine best course of action to treat this.

Best of luck, and let me know if I can help further.