Lynn, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  worked at a vet clinic for 18 yrs, BA in biology, experience with cats for 20+ years

My cat has two donut-shaped lesions on her back, under the

My cat has two donut-shaped lesions on her back, under the skin and near her spine that are about the size of a quarter. The skin over them appears more reddish than the skin elsewhere. Our vet has never seen this before. Do you have any idea what it could be? They're such an unusual and peculiar shape, and it doesn't seem like a coincidence to have two of them shaped the same.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lynn replied 7 years ago.

Did your vet do a fungassy to rule out ringworm?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, but these are lesions, like tumors, about a half centemeter thick. Can ringwork cause something like this with a thickness to it?
Expert:  Lynn replied 7 years ago.

I have another question, and then I'll get your answer done.

Has your vet treated this with anything yet?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, nothing. She said the pancreas values were a little high, so we did a fasting blood test. We're waiting for results, but that probably isn't related. Her thyroid was at the high end of normal. No treatment yet. She suggested a biopsy to see if it is cancer or not.
Expert:  Lynn replied 7 years ago.

Okay, thanks for your quick reply. Ringworm can cause crustiness and scaling so I would recommend testing for it to be certain because of the circular shape of these lesions. It probably isn't ringworm, but I think it should be ruled out. Here is a link to a page about it:

I think your vet is right that a biopsy should be done if it isn't ringworm. It could be cancerous, or it could be something else entirely such as an allergic reaction, inflammation, or infection. There's no way to know for sure without doing a biopsy. Here is a link to a page with a chart of different conditions in cats causing growths:

If you have further questions let me know. If this answer is helpful please click accept. Thank you.