Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.

My cat has sores around her neck, a few down her back, and

My cat has sores around her neck, a few down her back, and a few on her sides, they have scabs. I have tried anti-b ointment seems to make no difference on them. She goes out about once a week. What could be causing this?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 7 years ago.
The first thing I would be concerned with is that your cat has a flea allergy dermatitis. If you aren't using something like Frontline or Advantage on her, that is the first thing I would do. Make sure to use one of these 2 brands and not some cheap Hartz stuff you might find! Because cats are such good groomers, you may not see any signs of fleas on your cat, but if she goes outside she could be getting bit. In a cat with a flea allergy, one bite is enough to cause a lot of skin problems.

If fleas aren't the problem, then I would be concerned about some other type of allergy. Have you changed diets or added in new treats recently? Food sensitivities often show up as scabs and itchiness around the face and neck. Pollens and mold are high this time of year in many locations and that could be the problem.

But do the flea treatment first and see if your cat improves. If not, I would have your vet take a look. The scabs (miliary dermatitis) indicate some type of allergic reaction (generally) and your cat may need some steroids to suppress the immune system and allow her skin to settle down and heal.