Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My cat has weepy eyes and itchy ears. He is an indoor only

My cat has weepy eyes and itchy ears. He is an indoor only cat. I used Sovereign Silver on a cotton ball to swab his ears and that worked for awhile, but not anymore. His eye watered for a couple of days and not has mucous. I used Similasan drops for alleric eyes this am and it seemed to give relief, but I need to know what will really help.

Hi Linda,

How long is he like this?

What does he eat?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He has been like this on and off for the past few months for his ears, and this is the second time around for his eye. He eats canned food, fancy feast sometimes, friskies sometimes,9-lives sometimes. Mostly fancy feast. For dry foods he nibbles on either Iams for indoor w/hairball, fancy feast prime rib or turkey and giblets, or once in a while purina naturals. He's not too crazy about that one. He also has diarrhea alot so I give him Gerber's baby food meats at night. He's picky.

Hi Linda,

I am sorry your boy has this trouble.

First I would treat him with monthly revolution in case he has earmiites bothering him.

His issues do sound allergy related.

Try a quarter of a chlor-trimeton every twelve hours.

Baby food is ok sometimes but not as a permanent diet. Make sure there are no onions or garliic in the ingredients.

These brands below, are well-recommended and contain nothing artificial, plus, contain meat as the first, or within the first three ingredients:

Wellness (

Felidae (

Innova (

Newman's Own Organics (

Natural Balance (

I printed this for you:

" Ear infections are very common in dogs, although less so in cats. Two types are most often seen: otitis externa, infection of the external ear canal, and otitis media, infection of the middle ear. Although any dog or cat can get an ear infection, some breeds appear to be more prone than others. Dogs with pendulous ears, like Cocker Spaniels and Basset Hounds, or dogs with hairy inner ear flaps, like Miniature Poodles and Schnauzers, tend to have a higher occurrence of ear infections. In cats, the Persian breed seems to be more prone to such infections.

Most ear infections are easily and successfully treated. But if left untreated, they could result in serious damage.

Bacteria or yeast are most often the culprits of otitis externa. Other causes include an accumulation of wax, thick or matted hair in the ear canal, debris, a foreign body, a tumor or impaired drainage of the ear. Sometimes, infections of the external ear canal are a secondary result of some other bodily infection or ear mite infestation.

Otitis media usually results from the spread of infection from the external ear canal to the middle ear. Also, foreign bodies, debris, ulceration or improper ear cleaning can rupture the eardrum and allow infection to reach the middle ear"

Here is the rest of the link: .

Use white vinegar and water 50/50 mixture to dab on and in the ear to help with pain and itching.

Here is a list of natural solutions that I printed for you from a link:

Natural solutions

Clean the ears with vinegar. If your pet's ears are filled with brownish-pink wax, there is a good chance that allergies have caused a yeast infection. To clear up yeast infections, clean the ears thoroughly.

Veterinarians often recommend using white vinegar (also called acetic acid), because it removes dirt and debris and helps restore a healthy chemical balance in the ears. Diluted vinegar works well. When using vinegar, pour a small amount into the ear canal, massage the area, then gently wipe the inside of the ear with a cotton ball. Do this once a day until the ear is better.

Stop infections with pau d'arco. The herb pau d'arco, which comes from the inner bark of a South American tree, is a natural antibiotic that quickly kills fungi and bacteria. At the first sign of infection, mix equal parts pau d'arco tincture and mineral oil and put several drops in your pet's ears. Give the drops two or three times a day for several days.

Reduce inflammation with vitamin C. The adrenal glands produce a natural steroid that can help reduce inflammation when ears get infected. Giving pets vitamin C can help the adrenal glands work more efficiently. Pets weighing under 15 pounds can take between 100 and 250 milligrams of vitamin C a day. Cats and dogs 15 to 50 pounds can take 250 to 500 milligrams a day, and larger dogs can take 500 milligrams two or three times a day. Vitamin C can cause diarrhea, so you may have to cut back the dose until you find an amount that your pet will tolerate.

Eliminate toxins with a healthy, all-natural diet. Giving your pet a healthy, homemade diet or high-quality commercial food that doesn't contain corn, additives or preservatives can greatly reduce the amount of wax that the ears produce while also helping to boost the immune system.

Air out the ears. Increasing air circulation inside the ears can control the growth of bacteria, yeast and fungi. Trim or pluck hair inside the ears periodically to allow more air to get inside.

Strengthen the digestive tract. Supplements such as bromelain and quercetin (with bromelain) can help prevent an allergic response in the gastrointestinal tract, making food allergies less of a problem.

Here is the source:

These products are all available in a human health store.I have used the white vinegar and vitamin C myself with great success.

Hee may become nauseated due to a vestibular disorder:

I hope the natural solutions give him relief very soon.

Please let me know how your baby is feeling. I will always be here for both of you.

Sincerest best wishes,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Terri. I printed out this info and will "digest" it myself before embarking on the adventure. It will be difficult to give Snoball anything by mouth as he is very strong willed. He hides from me when I try to pick him up because he knows.....I'm about to do something with him. He's not easily conned! I do cook chicken for him on occasion, and he gets Tongol tuna in water with no salt added about once or twice a month. He seems to tolerate that well. He does not tolerate canned cat tuna. It gives him very loose bowels. He throws up almost every day. I will try some of the foods you suggested and let you know if anything helped. He's the most difficult cat I've ever had. I rescued him in 1999 from abandonment. He was a skeleton and had obviously been abused. Thank you for your time and suggestions. Linda

May God bless you for saving Snowball.

It is my pleasure to help someone as lovely as you and your sweet baby.

I will always be here for both of you.

Thank you for your accept. Sending as an I R so U R not charged again.

Best wishes,