Dr. Schillig
Dr. Schillig, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Dr. Schillig has been practicing veterinary medicine for over ten years.
14047027

Bengal: my 5 month..month old..cloudy..his sight, appetite, or mood

Hi, I recently noticed that my 5 month old Bengal kitten's left pupil appears slightly opaque and almost cloudy. I noticed it about 3 days ago, and it doesn't seem to cause him pain or affect his sight, appetite, or mood, but I am worried that there could be something seriously wrong. His affected pupil dilates normally and doesn't seem any different from his other eye, except for the strange reflective color. While his normal pupil is black and dark, it is almost as you can see straight through the affected pupil and to the back of the eye, which is a somewhat opaque and marbly. If this problem doesn't improve within the next few days, I will take him to the vet to determine the cause, but in the meantime I was curious if anyone had any ideas what this could be, or any in-home treatment suggestions? Thanks.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Schillig replied 7 years ago.

I am sorry to hear that your kitty is having this problem.

I would be most concerned about a problem in the lens of the eye, most likely a cataract. In a young kitten, this can frequently be addressed surgically if the retina is working normally.

You can get some idea of the function of the retina by flashing a bright light into the eye and seeing whether the pupil gets smaller. If it does, it implies that the retina has some function.

Here is a link to an article on cataracts:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=659

I hope this helps!

As always, if you have further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask them using the "reply" function.

Thank you,

Dr. Schillig

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry it took me so long to reply, I do appreciate your help. However, judging by the pictures you referenced of cataract problems, i do not think this is the issue with my kitten. His pupil is not completely taken over by a cloudy film, but instead looks like it is merely a slight white swirl on the back/inside of his pupil. It gives the eye a different, more reflective look in lamp light. I am still concerned by this, and I did try shining a bright light into his eye like you suggested, and he does in fact still have retina function and it doesn't seem like he is affected physically in any way by this abnormality. If you have any more suggestions, please let me know. Thanks again!

Hello again,

The pictures on that page, now that I look at them, show only mature cataracts that affect the entire lens. Cataracts can be partial and only affect one section of the lens such as you describe.

I am glad to hear that he has good function and seems visible.

This being the case, if he seems comfortable, there is not likely to be anything that needs to be done unless something changes.

I would always encourage you to have him evaluated by your veterinarian or a veterinary ophthalmologist.

Good luck,

Dr. Schillig